Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Winning - By Jack Welch

I read a lot of books. I enjoy spending an hour or two sitting in a Starbuck's and sipping a vanilla latte or caffe americano and quenching my thirst for knowledge. My college career was not marked by this type of dedication to hitting the books (I had to make sure that San Diego State kept it's reputation as a "party school". Just kidding, SDSU is a wonderful academic institution, I was just not very focused on my future at that stage), but now reading and learning are among my favorite hobbies.

About 15 years ago I discovered the joy of reading. I also took an interest in business (I had been a political science major), and developed a deep desire to discover better ways to live my life. Since that time I have read between twenty and twenty-five books per year.

Because of this, I know a good business book when I read one. I just finished the latest volume by the former CEO of General Electric, Jack Welch. Welch has long been considered one of America's top business leaders and this book, Winning, is a MUST READ for everyone.

While the whole book is fantastic, I recommend that you do not miss Chapters 19. It is the best advise I have ever seen on Work-Life Balance. Welch's no nonsense advise is what everyone needs to hear. You may not like what he has to say, but he is right on the money as to why some people get ahead in business and others do not. Also he talks about why some achieve the "right" to take time for achieving balance and others do not.

It is not a short book (372 pages in the paperback edition), but every chapter is full of sage wisdom from someone who has reached the top of America's corporate world.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com

No comments: