Thursday, December 14, 2006

Praise Others Project (December 14th) - Harvey Mackay

We are almost halfway through December and the "Praise Others Project" and today is a big one! My favorite business author, Harvey Mackay. His website proclaims him "Mr. Make Things Happen" and he is considered one of the world's greatest networkers. He has built an amazing career through always treating people well and getting to know the other person, and then giving them what they want.

I have read all of his books, and it was his motivational writing that turned me into an avid reader of business books. I was 22 years old, in my first job, when I read Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive and I was inspired. I developed an apetite for learning more about success that has never been quenched.

It was his third book, Sharkproof, that changed my life. I was 25 years old in in a really bad place in my career. I felt trapped in a horrible job and felt that nobody understood my situation. I was in a bookstore as they were unpacking his new book and putting it on the shelves. I purchased the book and read it in two days. It was as if Mr. Mackay was speaking directly to me though his writing. I engulfed the advice and made important changes in my life, taking responsibility for my future.

I wrote Harvey after I finished the book, and he wrote back...providing me with some personal advice. Years later I got to meet him when he spoke in Austin at a Chamber of Commerce lunch. But the highlight of my friendship with him came two years ago when a local business organization, TEXCHANGE, hired him to speak following the release of his latest book, We Got Fired and Its The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Us.

I got to spend the day with him while he was in Austin, and that evening when he spoke, I had the honor of delivering his introduction to the audience of over 200 people.

He was very gracious and gave me some good pointers when I was writing my book. I cannot think of any author whom I want to praise more in this project for really impacting my life. But it is not just me....Harvey Mackay has impacted the lives of millions of people through his many books, syndicated column and his speaking engagements. His books have sold over 10 million copies and are translated into 37 languages!

He does not have a blog, but you can sign up to get his weekly column. It is one of the best things you can get in your inbox.

Thank, Harvey!

Have a great day.

thom

If you are Harvey Mackay, CLICK HERE!

1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

Harvey was my inspiration for wanting to become an Entrepreneur way back in 9th grade. When I met him in November of 2004 and shared with him my desire to write a book called The Ripple Effect, he looked me straight in the eye and said quite simply...."Kid....go for it. You obviously have the passion and drive to make it happen and that will make you successful."

A day later we exchanged an email and he sent me a personal collection of tips, strategies and a plethora of amazing stuff to encourage me to "Go For It."

I praise and thank him for daily for being such an inspiration to me!

Ripple On!

Steve Harper

P.S. Thom....You are the man! Great, great BLOG posts!