Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Being a dad is a great joy, but also an overwhelming responsibility. I look at my two daughters and pray that they grow up emotionally strong, and equiped to make the tough choices that we all face in life. I work long hours, and often worry that I am not having the impact that I desire. They are amazing little people.....and I don't just love them, I like them.

I also have big shoes to fill, as I have a fantastic father. I know that many people grow up hoping NOT to be like their parents....but I aspire to be like my dad. I only have positive memories of growing up in his home, and love to bring my kids to visit him every summer...so they can know him. He was older when I was born, almost 52-years-old, but that did not slow him down from being a hands on influence on my life. Maybe more so, since he retired when I was in the 8th grade, and thus he was always around during my high school years (at the time it seemed like he was around too much!!!). He will turn 93-years-old this year, and I cherish every moment with him (although those moments are rare, since I live 2000 miles away).

I had the opportunity to have a conversation recently with Wall Street Journal "Work & Family" writer Sue Shellenbarger, who was working on an article on fathers, and how they influence their children. It was fun to be quoted in the Wall Street Journal, but beyond that, her article really hit home for me about the important role I play in the lives of my two kids. Dad's are different from Moms, and that is okay. It is that unique style of interaction that does impact the children.

CLICK HERE to read Ms. Shellenbarger's article which appeared in Thursday's Wall Street Journal.

I would like to take a moment to wish dad's everywhere a Happy Father's Day.

Have A Great Day.

No comments: