Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chronicles Of An Undecided Voter

The first presidential debate last night left me with nothing.

I wanted John McCain or Barak Obama to say something that resonated with me and helped clarify my confusion over whom to vote. Instead it was Kabuki theater.

I am being very guarded not to make my decision based on something negative that is said or done. I do not want to vote against a candidate, I want to vote for a candidate (Pollyanna attitude? So I have been told recently!).

Well, it is just one debate. There are two more.

I have learned one very interesting thing from being an "undecided" that I have been guilty of in past presidential elections: Someone who supports a candidate overlooks their candidates mistakes and flaws while exaggerating the blemishes on the other side. It is just human nature.

What I don't like is when people are hateful. I believe when hate creeps in it is a much deeper problem. It clouds everything and divides.

Look at last night --- everyone I know who supported McCain rationalized ways he was superior to Barak Obama. My Obama supporting friends also saw their guy as the champion of the debate. Meanwhile, as an undecided I saw the exchange as a hard to follow oddly moderated discussion that will never be remembered in any historical tome penned on presidential elections. But those who want their guy to win are spinning the chat up. Yawn.

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only a fool could not have made up his mind by now. FOOL!