Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Learn From Mistakes and Try To Do Better Next Time

I recently was reconnected with someone I attended college with via Facebook. He had a great quote on his profile that has stuck in my head for the past few days:

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

It made me smile because I find it to be so simple -- yet so true.

I look back on who I was in my teens and twenties, and I laugh at myself. I made a lot of mistakes. Some silly, some dumb, and other mistakes were just plain foolish. I often wish that life came with a re-set button! But it does not. These mistakes were really lessons for the future.

Without some bad judgement in youth, many would fail to recognize good judgement later in life. My mistakes allow me to be on the path I am on today. If I had not stumbled or fell on my face.... I would not be the person I am today. I admit to and recognize my mistakes, rather than trying to bury them under the rug.

I feel bad about the times when I did not treat others properly. Dealing with others is a hard lesson. I know now that showing respect to others, even when you disagree, is a good thing. Gossip, bad-mouthing, judging, excluding and hurting others feelings are never the right actions. But with the immaturity of youth I often was prey to such things. Even now it is sometimes hard not to prejudge others, even though I know better.

One never knows who is the catalyst that will help you reach the next level in your journey. Therefore you must be open minded and willing to cultivate friendships with all types of people whom you meet. Treat them well and learn from their unique experiences and points of view.

If you have not always made relationships with others a priority, take the next two months and experiment with how to reach out to others. The holiday season gives you ample opportunity to put others first, and to praise them for what makes them special. I think you will be surprised at how people will respond toward you when you help others (even when it is not them, they still like to see you help someone other than yourself).

Develop an attitude of wanting to see others succeed, and they will want to see you succeed. Learn from any mistakes you have made in the past, and build from the experience. Admit your mistakes, and strive to do better next time.

Have A Great Day.

thom

No comments: