Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Failed To Plan. Not So Bad.


In Boy Scouts they taught the motto "Be Prepared".

In business we learn to create a plan.

But life does not always work our as anticipated. When things do not go our way, how we react to the mishap is more important that the actual problem.

This morning I was in Boston (I spoke at an event in Cambridge last night).  My hotel was about a mile from Harvard Square, and I decided to grab breakfast at a cafe before heading to the airport.  The weather was cool, but brisk.  The walk to Harvard Square was nice.  The meal was delicious.  And the conversation with the business professor seated next to me was delightful (He agreed that most schools do a lousy job of teaching the power of business relationship in the business world... but he assured me that Harvard does a great job of instilling the need to network).

As I headed back toward the hotel, it began to rain.  I ducked into the COOP, and tried to wait out the down pour.  But alas, the water kept falling from the sky.  I needed to get back to the hotel so I could get to the airport.

I began to walk in the rain.  At first I was miserable.  I was pissed for not bringing a jacket or umbrella (both of which were in my room).  Then a few blocks into the walk I realized that I could not recall the last time I took a long walk in the rain.

It does not rain much in Austin, Texas.... and when it does it is usually accompanied by thunderstorms (thus making walking in the rain a dangerous endeavor).  I decided to smile and enjoy the feeling of the rain on my face.

The more I walked, the more I enjoyed the journey back.  I even laughed out loud, as it was surprisingly fun to be walking in the rain.

I was reminded that I get to choose my attitude.  While I was not prepared, and had not planned for the rain, it was not the end of the world.  In fact, it was pleasant.

We need to be prepared and we need to plan, but we also must enjoy whatever comes our way and make the best out of the bumps in our path.  Sure, I failed to plan for the rain... but it was not that bad.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the narrative. I enjoyed the walk and the attitude change.

Amber Fogarty said...

I loved this post! A great reminder that we can always choose how we respond at any moment. Attitude is everything!