Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I Enjoy About Being A Professional Speaker and Trainer -- EVERYTHING!



In the past several weeks I have been asked the same question by three different people:  "what do you hate about being a speaker?"

The question seemed to center around the parts being a professional speaker and trainer that some may not enjoy - such as travel hassles, going through TSA security, uncertainty of work, parties a ton of strangers, unfamiliar hotels, demanding clients, etc....

It was interesting to me that I could not think of a single thing I hate about being a speaker.  I love all of it.  Seriously, it still thrills me that I can earn a living doing something I enjoy.

Yes, a long line at an airport or a flight snafu is not a joy, but I know it is part of the whole experience and I plan for delays and take it all in stride.  Being away from my wife and kids is not ideal, but when I am not on the road I have more free time than I did when I worked in a corporate job, so there are decent trade offs.

There is nothing in my role that I hate, or even strongly dislike.  I am honored to be part of the meetings and speaking industries and still get excited with each new client and every new project.  I have delivered 56 presentations in 2012 (from small local talks to major international conferences) and I have not had a single experience that would make me question my career choice.

That being said, not every talk goes just how I would want it, and not everyday is filled with birds chirping in sunny skies.  Yet, I smile knowing that this is my job, and I like to believe that the audiences I serve can tell that I am thrilled to be with them each and every time.

I love being a speaker and trainer.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

No comments: