Saturday, May 11, 2013

Wheaton's Law


Wil Wheaton (yes, the guy from Star Trek: Next Generation) is known for a simple saying that is a good rule for everyone to learn and live by online (and offline):

"Don't be a dick"

It was originally stated by the actor at a conference to online gamers in regards to sportsmanship, but has come to be known to be advice for all aspects of life.

I became aware of this when a person I know said something highly snarky and a mutual friend called me to discuss the motivation of this person toward pompous jerk tendencies.  I tweeted a random question asking why some are prone to such behavior, to which several online friends pointed me to "Wheaton's Law" as the best way to live.

It is simple, but so true.   

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

No comments: